After several weeks (OK, months) off, I'm back with a new post. This week it's my Scottish ancestry. Max and Isabella, this one's for you.
1. Kevin Joseph HUIGENS
2. Joseph Anthony HUIGENS
3. Shirley Ann OGDEN
6. Emery Julius OGDEN (b. 9 Sept 1896 in Elk Point, Union Co., SD, USA, m. 19 Mar 1929 in Gordon, Sheridan Co., NE, USA, d. 8 Apr 1984 in Martin, Bennett Co., SD, USA)
7. Esther Louise JOHNSON (b. 23 Feb 1902 in Milan, Rock Island Co., IL, USA, d. 24 Mar 1984 in Rapid City, Pennington Co., SD, USA)
12. William Fredrick OGDEN (b. 10 Oct 1871 in Simcoe, Norfolk Co., Ontario, Canada, m. 25 Jan. 1895 in Elk Point, Union Co., SD, USA, d. 19 May 1951 in Platteville, Grant Co., WI, USA)
13. Mary Elizabeth HERREN (b. 22 Dec 1873 in Batavia, Scott Twp., Sheboygan Co., WI, USA, d. 14 Nov 1938 in Mission, Todd Co., SD, USA)
24. James Robert OGDEN (b. 9 Feb 1836 in New Brunswick, Canada, m. 12 Nov 1861 in Grey Co., Ontario, Canada, d. 6 Aug 1910 in Rapid City, Pennington Co., SD, USA)
25. Hannah GIBBON (b. 10 Feb 1837 in Chinguacousy, Peel Co., Ontario, Canada, d. 18 Apr 1927 in Denby, Shannon Co., SD, USA)
50. John GIBBON (b. 1803 in Scotland, m. around 1830 in Scotland, d. 1889 in Scotland, Bon Homme Co., SD, USA)
51. Margaret DAVIDSON (b. around 1810 in Scotland, d. Aug 1842 in Chinguacousy, Peel Co., Ontario, Canada)
John Gibbon (pictured above with his grandson, William F. Ogden, and his second wife, Isabella) emigrated from Scotland to Canada around 1836. He then moved to South Dakota between 1871 and 1880. His first wife died in 1842 and he married Isabella Davidson, possibly the sister of his late wife, in 1849. He probably came from Aberdeenshire as that's where the Gibbon surname is most common. Some on-line family trees link him to a John Gibbon who was a shoemaker in Aberdeenshire in the 1841 Scotland Census, but he was already in Canada by then, based on the birth of his daughter, Hanna in Ontario in 1837. He first appears in Canada in the 1842 Ontario Census.
Having 2 Scottish great-great-great-grandparents makes me 1/16th Scottish. Now I just need to know what tartan I should get my kilt in.