Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) What was your father's mother's name?
2) What is your father's mother's patrilineal line? That is, her father's father's father's ... back to the most distant male ancestor in that line?
3) Can you identify male sibling(s) of your father's mother, and any living male descendants from those male sibling(s)? If so, you have a candidate to do a Y-DNA test on that patrilineal line. If not, you may have to find male siblings, and their descendants, of the next generation back, or even further.
4) Tell us about it in your own blog post, or in a comment on this post, or in a Facebook or Google Plus post.
1) My father's mother's name was Mary Julia KAIN.
2) Her patrilineal line is:
- Francis Joseph KAIN(1861-1930) who married Margaret H. KENNEDY(1864-1931)
- John KAIN(1819-1893) who married Mary FOX(1823-1890)
3) My Grandma Julia had three brothers and one adopted brother.
- Richard John "Dick" KAIN (1892-1972), who married Mary A "Mame" DARCY (1896 – 1989). They had one daughter: Margaret Clare KAIN (1918-???)
- Francis Joseph "Fritz" KAIN (1898-1970), who married Helen E. BAKER (1909-1962). They also only had one daughter: Mary Anne KAIN (1943-2000)
- Edmund Henry KAIN (1904-1982), who married Corene A. CUNNINGHAM (1914 - ???). They had three sons and a daughter, Living KAIN (1954 – ).
- Living? KAIN (1939 – ???), who married Living? RUDOLPH (1944 - ???). They had one daughter born in 1964.
- Living KAIN (1940 – ???), who married Living AIGNER (1943 – ???). They had two sons born in 1965 and 1966. One of them has a son born in 2002.
- Living KAIN (1956 – ???), who married Living HUGHES (1958 – ???). They have two sons born in 1983 and 1989.
I'm glad I didn't have to go back another generation. My great-grandfather, Frank KAIN, was one of seven sons. Two died in childhood and one never married, but I know I can find loads of living male KAINs through his other brothers.