28 June 2023

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 17 "DNA"

 I have done a previous post on how DNA may have helped verify a relationship in my family tree. But for this prompt I want to look at how far back I can verify my various branches thanks to having DNA matches that also link back to those branches through paper trails. 

  • I match an aunt, first cousins, and children and grandchildren of first cousins that verify my link to my four grandparents. 
  • I match my parents' first cousins, my second cousins and their children that verify my links to my eight great-grandparents.
  • I match third cousins and their children and grandchildren that verify my links to all sixteen of my great-great-grandparents.
  • I match fourth cousins and their children and grandchildren that verify my links to 14 of my thirty-two great-great-great-grandparents:
    • Toemmes/Schmitt2
    • Schmitt1/Peters
    • Kennedy/Noland
    • Ogden/Morrell
    • Gibbon/Davidson
    • Nilsson/Persdotter
    • Strayer/Schaeffer
And that's as far back as I've gotten. As I reviewed these matches, I became confused about whether some of these cousins are mislabeled. I think I may some "removed" levels to remove and some to add. I really  need to add these matches to my Ancestry tree and let Ancestry work out the relationships. Yay, more tasks for my genealogy to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment