28 February 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Julia T. (Huigens) and Ernest P. Tharnish

This is a picture of the grave marker for my father's aunt and uncle, Julia T. (Huigens) and Ernest P. Tharnish. It's located in St. Ludger Cemetery in Creighton, Knox Co., NE. This was taken before Julia's death.
The grave marker was made when Julia's husband died in 1983. She was then 85 years old. They went ahead and chiseled in the "19" for the start of her death date. She asked them "What if I live past the turn of the century?" They pointed out that was in seventeen years and she'd turn 103 in 2000, so it didn't seem like they were taking much of a risk.

Julia died in 2007, a week after her 110th birthday. At the time of her death, she was the oldest living person in Nebraska. In the end, she was right and they had to put a plaque on the marker to cover up their mistake. She sure showed them.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Kevin, my name is Adam LaRose and I believe we are distantly related. I was doing some digging on my, who I believe to be my great great aunt Julia, and came across this page. My maternal grandfather was Lawrence "Larry" Mattern and lived in the same nursing home as Aunt Julia. They died the same year. I remember her very clearly and she would surprisingly remember my name as well as my younger brother's. Let me know if you would like to share some of your genealogy research.
    Thanks,
    Adam.t.larose@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
    I believe we are related somehow. Julia Tharnish, if I'm not mistaken, was my great great aunt, and was connected by my maternal grandfather's side. His name was Lawrence Mattern. My grandfather lived in the same nursing home in Creighton and I remember visiting Aunt Julia as well. They both died the same year. If you would like to share some of your genealogy research email me at adam.t.larose@gmail.com
    Thanks,
    Adam LaRose

    ReplyDelete