11 February 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Week 6: Family Heirlooms

Family Heirlooms: For which family heirloom are you most thankful? How did you acquire this treasure and what does it mean to you and your family?



The family heirloom for which I am most thankful is one that is not yet in my possession. It's a clock that was given as a wedding present to my great-grandparents, John Huigens and Mary Fitzler, in 1884. I don't even have a picture of it to post. Sorry.


It has a wooden cabinet and stands probably a little over a foot high. It has to be wound, of course, and I think it has a pendulum. It stood on a shelf in the family room in our basement when I was growing up. My dad inherited it from his dad, who inherited from his dad. It's in my parent's closet down in Texas right now. My mom has said that I can have it when I come down and have a way to transport it safely back to Chicago. We don't want to take any chances with it. I think it will look beautiful on the mantel above the fireplace in our Arts and Crafts living room. Plus we could definitely use a clock in the room. The problem will be remembering to keep it wound. I can't even manage to keep my cell phone charged up.

No comments:

Post a Comment