21 January 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Weeks 2 & 3: Online Tools

It's two, two, two weeks in one!

Week 2: Paid Genealogy Tools
My favorite paid genealogy tool? Ancestry.com hands down. It has been the source of tons of research and discoveries, mostly through the census records. It has also been where we have built our family tree.

By we, I mean my brother Ross and me. In fact, it's his subscription that he generously shares with me. That is what I am most grateful for. He did a tremendous job getting our tree started. I just add twigs and leaves to the trunk and branches he first built.

Week 3: Free Online Genealogy Tools
This one is a lot tougher. I am grateful for familysearch.org and also for the USGenWeb collection of sites. I guess I'll go with the USGenWeb sites because I'm grateful for the hundreds of volunteers that built these sites and keep them running. I'll especially mention Marshall County, IL, Knox County, NE and Clinton County, IA. These were a great help in working on my paternal family lines. My dad's Irish ancestors settled in Clinton Co., the German ones in Marshall Co. Both sets of his grandparents settled in Knox Co., where his parents met.

No comments:

Post a Comment