29 March 2023

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 11 "Lucky"

 When I think of  "Lucky," I think of my parents' marriage of sixty-two years. You cannot get any luckier than to find someone to love who also loves you for that long.

Joseph A. Huigens, Jr. and Shirley Ann Ogden were married on 7 September 1950 at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Rushville, Nebraska. They met when they were both working at a hardware store in Rushville.

Shirley Ogden and Joe Huigens 
7 September 1950

My dad probably proposed to my mom sometime in the fall of 1949. According to my mom's sister, Marge, my mom's dad was angry and worried because my mom was Protestant and my dad's family were Roman Catholic. At Christmas in 1949 my grandfather packed his family into the car and drove to my grandmother's parents home in Minnesota. He may have thought that separating my parents for a while would give him a chance to talk my mom out of it. According to Aunt Marge, he got even madder when he found out my mom had been making secret long-distance phone calls from Minnesota to Nebraska to talk to my dad. That's what a teen-ager in love will do.

I am sure there were rough patches that only they ever new about and still, despite all that life threw at them, they saw it through together. 

Here they are on their 50th Wedding Anniversary.
Joe and Shirley Huigens
September 2000

Here they are in December 2010 after 60 years of marriage.


My dad died in May of 2013 after spending six years in a nursing home following a stroke. My mother died suddenly and unexpectedly eleven months later in April 2014. 

My brother, Ross, tells the story of the time a nurse at the nursing home told my mom that my dad had a beautiful smile. Ross says that my mom's face took on the look of that teen-age girl in love as she replied "I know."

If you are lucky in love like my parents, be sure to let that person know it.





No comments:

Post a Comment