19 April 2012

Abundant Genealogy: Weeks 15 and 16

I've fallen behind on this, so it's time to catch up

Week 15: Volunteers: Tell us about a volunteer you appreciate. What does this person do for the genealogical community? How has he or she touched your heart?
This is your chance to show some love for those who selflessly give their time to family history.

This was a tough one. My choice is only marginally genealogy related but I have to say I am truly grateful to Tom Bogner and his work on preserving the cemetery near Henry, IL that sits in the middle of a cornfield. My great-great-grandfather Evert Huigens/Eberhard Heigens and his mother-in-law, my great-great-great-grandmother Maria (Schmitt) Toemmes are buried there. Without Tom's efforts to protect the cemetery from the encroachment of the farmer who owns the land surrounding it, I don't think the remains of two of my ancestors would have a chance of remaining undisturbed.

Week 16: Tech Toys: Genealogists love their technology toys! Which tech gadget do you appreciate the most? How has this tool enhanced your family history experience? Would you recommend it to others?

I don't have nearly enough tech toys. My most useful one is a digital camera. It's come in handy at cemeteries and family gatherings. I hope to be able to use it when I make my first trip to a court house and come across documents that cannot be photocopied. Maybe I'll give it a trial run at a library, where I have the backup option of photocopying.

No comments:

Post a Comment