23 January 2011

Jan. 2011, Weeks 2 and 3: Marriage and death of Joseph Andrew HUIGENS

I was too busy last weekend to create a post on my grandparents' wedding.  This week I'm playing catch up by doubling up.
 Joe obtained a license to marry Miss Julia KAIN from the county judge of Knox Co., NE on Fri., 13 Feb 1914.  The name of the judge was D.C. Laird.

The wedding took place on Wed., 18 Feb 1914.  It most likely took place at St. Ludger's Catholic Church in Creighton, NE since the pastor, Fr. William Windolph officiated.  The witnesses on the  marriage certificate were Richard Kain, brother of the bride, and Emily Huigens, sister of the groom.

My grandfather died on 8 Nov 1957, when I was 6 months old.  He was 66.  He died at his home in Rushville, Sheridan Co., NE.  The cause of death on the death certificate is Uremia.  Basically his kidneys failed due to chronic Glomerulonephritis, inflammation of the glomeruli, or small blood vessels in the kidneys.  He was buried in St. Mary's Cemetery in Rushville.
 This is a picture of my grandparents taken a few months before his death.

I wish I had had a chance to know my grandfather.  Next week I'll have some miscellaneous info on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment