04 March 2010

Fearless Females: Day 4

Today's prompt for the Fearless Female Women's History blog challenge is:
March 4 — Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.

Let's see where I stand with having sources.

Grandparents
Joseph HUIGENS and Julia KAIN, 18 Nov 1914 probably at St. Ludgers Catholic Church in Creigton, Knox Co., NE. I do not have church or civil records for this marriage. I do have a picture, though.
Emery OGDEN and Esther JOHNSON, 19 Mar 1929 probably at Morse Memorial United Methodist Church in Rushville, Sheridan Co., NE. Again, I don't yet have civil or church records for this marriage.


I have a newspaper clipping from the Rushville newspaper of 22 Mar 1929. The hand-written correction was made by my mother.




I also have a picture that was supposedly taken on their wedding day.

Great-grandparents
John HUIGENS and Mary FITZLER, 1 Feb 1884 at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Henry, Marshall Co., IL. I don't have any church records for this marriage and I have a surplus of civil records. Many years ago my mother sent off for a Certificate of Record of Marriage from Marshall Co. The date on that is 29 Jan 1884. A few years ago, I also sent off for the same record. Ther version I received states 24 Jan 1884. Clearly the people who transcribed the record had different opinions on that one character. To add to the confusion, the wedding announcement from the Henry Republican on 7 Feb 1884 states "Married, in the city, Feb. 1, at the German Catholic Church, by the Reverend Father Hout, JOHN HIGGINS and Miss MARY FITZLER." So is the date on the original certificate the date they obtained the license? I need to get to the courthouse and see the original marriage license.

Frank KAIN and Maggie KENNEDY, 14 Feb 1888 at St. Irenaeus Catholic Church in Lyons, Clinton Co., IA. Again, no civil or church records. Not even a picture.

William OGDEN and 1) Mary HERREN, 25 Jan 1895 in Elk Point, Union Co., SD, 2) Mary CHARBONEAU about 1939. No records or pictures for these either.

Gustaf JOHNSON and Rosabell STRAYER, 4 Sept 1899 in Rock Island Co., IL. No details and no church records, but I do have a marriage record index from an on-line database of Illinois marriages. And I have a picture.
So I really need to get busy gathering records, transcripts and originals at courthouses. I do have some church records and civil records for some of my great-great-grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment