05 March 2010

Fearless Females: Day 5

Today's prompt for the Fearless Female Women's History blog challenge is:
March 5 — How did they meet? You’ve documented marriages, now, go back a bit. Do you know the story of how your parents met? Your grandparents?

My parents met when they were both working in a hardware store in Rushville, Sheridan Co., NE. My mom was still in high school; I think my dad had recently graduated.

I'm not sure how my grandparents met. My paternal grandparents would have known each other through attendance at St. Ludgers Catholic Church in Creighton, Knox Co., NE. They probably knew each other since childhood.

My maternal grandparents must have met when my grandfather arrived in Sheridan Co., NE. The Johnson family was in Gordon, Sheridan Co., NE in the 1920 US Census. My grandfather arrived in the area some time between 1925, when he was listed in the SD Census, and 1929, when he married my grandmother. According to the article I posted yesterday my grandmother was living in Henning, Otter Tail Co., MN when she married. Her parents are listed there in the 1930 US Census.

I think I need to ask my mother a lot more questions.

1 comment:

  1. I talked with my mom yesterday and learned the following. She and my dad met while working at Peck's Hardware, which was owned by Buzz and Opal Peck. Peck also owned an International Harvester implement store with Russell DeWitt. My mom was doing bookkeeping for both places, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. My dad was a clerk at Peck's Hardware and asked her out to the movies.

    Her mother and father met in Rushville. Esther Johnson's family had moved to Henning, MN. She came back to Rushville to help her cousin raise her children. Emery Ogden was dating one of Esther's cousins. He dropped her and asked Esther out. The rest is family history.

    ReplyDelete