01 March 2012

Fearless Females: Day 1

Since I'm trying to keep up the pace of a blog post a day, I guess I'll take advantage of Lisa Alzo's Fearless Females blog prompts for Women's History Month.

March 1 — Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

My favorite female ancestor is my Grandma Julia, but she is not the one I want to learn more about. If I had to pick someone for that, I'd go with Hanora (Collins) Wallace Kennedy, one of my Irish great-great-grandmothers.

 What I know comes partly from her grave marker and partly from hand-written notes made by her granddaughter, my Grandma Julia's cousin. Hanora or Nora, was supposedly born in the parish of Glenbrohane in County Limerick. Her first husband's last name was Wallace (or Wallis). She had two daughters with him, Ellen/Nellie born in Ireland and Hanora/Nora in the US. She later married my great-great-grandfather John Kennedy and they settled near Clinton, IA and had four children. I've requested a records search in County Limerick for records of Hanora Collins and Ellen Wallace, but they turned up nothing. Her obituary provided no additional clues.

The next steps are county death records to look for parents' names, a search for marriage records in Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin and a search in those three state for death records for a male Wallace of about her age dying between the birth of their last daughter and her second marriages. I'd welcome an other suggestions of  how to find more information about her.


No comments:

Post a Comment